The Spokesperson for the Nigerian Army, Onyema Nwachukwu, has denied that troops from the army invaded the residence of an agitator for Yoruba Nation, Sunday Adeyemo, aka Sunday Igboho in Ibadan earlier on Thursday.
Nwachukwu said he was not aware of the incident, adding that the Nigerian Army did not carry out any attack on the Yoruba Nation agitator as claimed, Peoples Gazette reports.
“There’s nothing like that, I don’t have that information. Soldiers did not carry out an attack on Igboho,” Mr Nwachukwu said over the telephone.
It was gathered that men dressed in military uniform attacked the house at about 1:30 am, destroying valuable assets in the building.
Footage from the scene of the incident, shared by loyalists of the agitator, also contained blood spills in the activist’s home and vehicles destroyed.
But the army has a history of denying such incidents just like it happened with the attack on peaceful protesters at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos on October 20, 2020.
The army initially denied ever being there but later said his men were only there with rubber bullets. Thereafter, it changed its story and admitted that live bullets were indeed taken to the venue of the peaceful protest.